4.13.2009

Celebrity IQs

Hi. It's Joe.

So if the banner ads I sometimes see are to be believed, then Britney Spears has an IQ of 105, about 10 points higher than George W. Bush.

I never click on those banners, because I am confident I "can beat that." It should be some indication of my IQ that I don't fall for those kinds of marketing tactics. Even so, 105 seems high to me. But when you think about it, that's only a tad above average. And Britney Spears exemplifies all that is "average" in America. By that I not only refer to the rampant mediocrity of popular music, but also the appeal of such music to the lowest common denominator.

In essence, when you think of a bell curve...




...that which appeals to the greatest number of people (aptly called "Same as Others" in the graph) is going to sell the best.

Britney Spears' success is a result of being great at being really pretty close to average for women who want to be bimbo's and the men who desire them. So I guess I can accept her having an IQ of 105. I am still a little angstful about George W's 95 IQ score though. I realize he was elected for the same reason, appeal to the popular AVERAGE with commensurate mediocrity. It scares me a bit though. Even retrospectively.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm...I must be very average cuz I kinda like Britney:(

    ReplyDelete