4.15.2010

10 Minutes - Singing Birthday Cards

Hi. It's Joe.


I'm dog tired.

I need Rhodiola for energy, but it is too late at night. I want to sleep but I promised to do 10 minutes of free writing per day, and I swore that it was doable. So I am doing it.

I had to get up at 7 AM today to go to a half day class in Madison.

I learned a lot. But I was tired. I'm not used to getting up that early now that I am self-employed.

Yep. I am still not working for THE MAN, although I am exploring some options for "underwriting" from corporate America at the moment.

Then tonight my band hosted my roommate Matt's birthday party at Fat Boyz in Fort Atkinson WI. It was a blast, but now I am drained.

Anyway, the class was about copywriting for web sites. I decided after the class that I am going to try an experiment. The whole thing about writing marketing copy is to let your audience know what's in it for them.

On my indie rock-n-roll band's web site, I have had a tendency to try to encourage fans of our music to attend UPCOMING shows.

But since anything can happen at shows, it is difficult to persuade people to come to a show that hasn't happened yet, especially when they have other options available that are more certain in terms of outcome, even if lamer. Sure, I can speculate on what a great time it will be, how great the band will be, how many phone numbers they will get. But I don't know for sure. Audiences don't like uncertainty.

So I said, how can I encourage certainty? The dim light bulb that flickered to life over my head showed me that I should write my WEEKLY GUPDATE posts retrospectively, in the past tense. I can describe with utter certainty what happened, how much fun people had, and the crazy antics of people at recent shows.

Two things should then happen. Over time people will begin to see that my rock band's shows are consistently awesome. That's number one. And number two is that they will quickly begin to regret not coming to more shows and start coming.

This is my theory on paper. I am directly showing people exactly what is in it for them (or could have been if they came to the last show). It's fact, to the best extent my descriptive writing ability can convey it. And reality is unshakeable truth, no matter how much you may try to avoid it.

I'm starting this experiment tomorrow with the next installmend of the WEEKLY GUPDATE. You'll have to tell me what you think.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment