4.23.2010

10 Minutes - I Am On the Verge of Stressing Out

Hi. It's Joe.

I'm diligently sticking to my 10 minute free writes even though it is a quarter past 2 in the morning and I really don't want to. But it's only 10 minutes and doggone it I swore I could do this. I haven't failed yet...except for those couple of times I just decided not to do it because I didn't want to. But even though I don't want to now, I still am, because I am committed to this thing.

I'd really rather be giving away free customizable business cards. Because that's what I do. I should say that is a small part of what I do. I also write. A lot.

Today I was in Madison WI most of the day for a seminar on guerilla marketing. I learned a lot and even promoted my awesome rock-n-roll band to a few people while I was at it. I got a few great ideas for promoting my band. I don't know if they will work, but the premise is sound.

It is essentially the common sense idea of "what's in it for the consumer?" The consumer is of course the music lover and consumer. We could tell them we are the best band in the world, but even though that's true people would think it was an inflated self-image and not check us out.

But we can say people will have the best time of their life at a GUPPY EFFECT show, and that's a realistic claim. We bring the thunder.

But if that doesn't work, we will use shameless hooks. We are going to start giving away a prize at every show. All people have to do is write their name and e-mail on a raffle ticket and at some point near the end of our show we will draw a winner. People will have to be present to win.

This does a few things. First, it keeps some people at the show longer, waiting for the drawing, so we don't lose audience. Second, we get new names and e-mails for the e-mail list. Third, whoever wins a band t-shirt or women's thong will be advertising for us every time they wear the apparel.

I can imagine that most people who get a full on view of one of our rock-n-roll thongs being worn by someone will associate our band with immediate gratifying pleasure in an almost Pavlovian manner.

In addition, anyone who shows their women's thong at any GUPPY EFFECT live rock-n-roll show will get a free drink on the band, no questions asked.

Besides, what girl doesn't want an iconic fish emblazoned right on the front of her skimpy sexy undies? It's not going to eat itself...

I don't even know what that means.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment