4.13.2010

10 Minutes - My Red Coffee Maker

Hi. It's Joe.

As you've probably noticed, my blog posts here tend to travel far from the topic of coffee. So I thought I would go back to my roots for one post.

I started this blog ages ago, even before I "fired my boss" and became self-employed as a writer of songs and science communication documents. The reason was that there are quite a lot of good coffee-related niches for online product marketing.

I won't lie to you. I love coffee and I'm passionate about it. So I figured I could probably communicate pretty well with other coffee lovers and provide them with some useful information and links to cool coffee-related things.

It's just that my mind wanders a lot.

Anyway, I wanted to briefly cover a simple coffee-related topic here today, in my short 10 minutes of free writing. I'm not a coffee snob. I just want and need a decent-sized cup of strong coffee. It doesn't have to be a funny flavor or contain some crazy incarnation of dairy products. It just has to be good coffee.

COFFEE MAKERS

I'll leave finding the best coffee beans up to you, reader. Personal tastes differ. Maybe you like low acid coffee or private label coffee or organic kona coffee or decaf gourmet coffee (Really? Decaf?). I'm really quite happy with the Food Club Columbian Supremo coffee I get at a discount with my Piggly Wiggly saver card.

When it comes to coffee makers I am both a simplist and a purist. I know simplist isn't a word. I made it up.

A coffee maker has to quickly pass hot (but not quite boiling) water over fairly fresh ground coffee beans and filter the solution thus rendered of particulates so that I can drink it. For some strange reason, this type of coffee maker is called a "drip coffee maker." But to be useful to me, it really has to be more of a flow of hot water than a "drip."

It needs only one button - ON.

I'm not so addicted to coffee that I need to program the coffee maker to make coffee while I am still asleep. I understand that some people like to wake up the the wafting aroma of freshly brewed coffee. I don't need that.

But I do need coffee soon after I get up, and that is why a coffee maker must quickly make coffee.

On the other hand, I do not need a coffee maker that automatically grinds whole beans and then brews them. I am content with pre-ground coffee. When I have the luxury of whole beans, I kind of like grinding them in my simple, one-touch Braun coffee grinder.

There is something more tangible about grinding my own coffee beans. It feels more organic than letting a machine do it, even if a machine does the other hot water and filtering part.

I like to drink two cups of coffee in the course of the morning as I work. Of course, to me a "cup" of coffee is more like a "small soup bowl" of coffee. One of my cups is probably 2.5-3 actual measured CUPS of liquid.

That's all I got.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment