6.02.2010

10 Minutes - What a Weekend!

Hi. It's Joe.

Try Gevalia Premium Coffee Today!The weekend was killer.

I had Friday off, as I said in a prior post. I went out to dinner with Todd and Sherry and we had fish and chicken fry at the Sand Bar in Lake Mills WI. I like Todd and Sherry because they are good people, impeccable with their speech, and also good friends.

On Saturday, I MC-ed a stage at Brat Fest in Madison WI, the biggest "sausage fest" in the world. This meant that I got to perform solo acoustic music between the bands scheduled to perform on the stage. They wanted to have something to entertain the crowd during the down time. I was happy to do it, even though I did not benefit in any way, except karmically and spiritually. That's good enough for me.

You can buy me a coffee if you think I deserve it for donating my time and rocking juices to the Brat Fest.

Saturday night, I swung by Velvet Lips Lounge in Fort Atkinson WI and caught some of the band Rivalry's act. Now I understand why it is called Rivalry, because the core of the group is a sister and brother team. Like, sibling "rivalry."

But they are a kickass band. Katie, the sister, is the lead singer. She not only has pipes, but can play guitar and sing at the same time. She did flawless renditions of Heart's "Barracuda" and Dio's "Holy Diver." Jesus, I really liked the performance.

I couldn't stay too late though, because I had to get up at 7 AM on Sunday morning for a bike ride in Lake Mills with the Madison Bicycling MeetUp Group. The plan was for my friend Tami to drive with her bike to my house, then we would bike up to Todd and Sherry's and all ride together to the start of the bike ride. Tami bailed, so that actually gave me a little more leisure time in the morning to get ready and I drove my bike to Lake Mills on the car. Pure laziness.

I parked in front of Sherry's house and we biked down to the Glacial Drumlin State Trail to join the bike ride. The parking lot there is small, so we didn't want to go through all the trouble of driving down there and unloading bikes. They live close to the trail.

On the bike ride, Todd, Sherry, and I were feeling adventurous. So while we encouraged others in the MeetUp group to detour with us for free Sunday morning chicken wings and bloody marys (NA beer in my case!) at the Kroghville Oasis about a mile north of the bike trail, most people were too conservative to do anything so bold. Thus, we quickly found ourselves very far behind the rest of the pack.

We never caught up, but we had a great time anyway. We did see them pass us in the other direction at one point. They were going back and we were still riding out along the bike trail. Our butts hurt, but we finished the ride.

Sunday night I rocked the Bolt Inn in Fort Atkinson WI solo acoustic. Todd and Sherry came down for a while, after they power napped. I wish I could have squeezed in a power nap. The bike ride took a lot out of all of us.

But I burled on through, as I often do, and it was a successful night of rocking.

Monday I was back at Brat Fest rocking with PEOPLE BROTHERS BAND in the early afternoon. We scored lots of Brat Bucks good for free brats and I ate my fill. My buddy Jim from Chicago made it up for a visit, although he totally missed PEOPLE BROTHERS BAND's set. We saw the American Idol guy's tour bus at the Come Back Inn, and I guess later that night he showed up at the Come Back Inn Open Mic Night that I usually attend, but I had already left.

That always happens to me. I always miss brushes with fame. I might even have learned to respect the American Idols. But alas, I still don't.

Time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, seems like it was quite a "Todd and Sherry" weekend! We had a blast with you, especially on that 35-mile pedal bike bike ride!

    See you at the next gig. We'll bring the new (old!) car!

    ReplyDelete