6.03.2010

10 Minutes - Zenyatta Mondatta and Blondie Albums

Hi. It's Joe.

I'm a big fan of THE POLICE (80s rock band with Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland).

I would probably say they are my favorite all time band. This could be because they were the first band I saw in concert as a kid. They are surprisingly LOUD in concert. You wouldn't think it, but they are.

It's also true to say that a lot of my rock songwriting is influenced by The Police - not so much the music as the songs structures. The Police were the masters of the ABABCB song structure. This is basically the structure that goes VERSE - CHORUS - VERSE - CHORUS - BRIDGE - CHORUS.

The bridge of Police songs is the most notable characteristic. They would usually take the bridge in a dramatically different direction from the rest of the song, to create a dynamic tension that was resolved when the song returned to the familiar chorus again at the end.

For examples, listen to "Can't Stand Losing You" or "Next to You".

I always liked that, and it is probably why I add funky breakdown instrumental bridges to a lot of my otherwise fairly conventional rock songs.

Anyway, the five (5) main Police albums (not including "Best Ofs" and Sting solo material, obviously) were re-mastered and re-released on CD a few years back. I have all the original Police recordings and I never upgraded to the re-mastered versions.

Do you want to know why?

It's because I believe VINYL is the way to go with The Police. With the possible exception of 1990s release "Synchronicity", all the other Police albums retain the 1980s sound that is captured so well by vinyl, but is sterilized by conversion to binary code in the CD format.

I love listening to the album "Zenyatta Mondatta" on vinyl. This is probably because it was one of the first rock vinyl records I ever owned, so it kind of imprinted on me.

Another great vinyl record, totally unrelated to The Police albums, is Blondie's "Parallel Lines" album from 1978 (now only available via used record stores...but here's a link to some sources).

That's how I see it.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment