5.16.2011

10 Minutes - The Year of Living Biblically

Hi. It's Joe.

I got the book "The Year of Living Biblically," by A. J. Jacobs, at the Lake Mills Library. My excellent GF Caitlin lent me her library card to check it out. I am going to read a bit of it tonight, before bed.

The book was originally recommended to me by a co-worker. I thought it sounded interesting. Now that I am learning about things Biblical, I thought this would be a relatively painless way to get into it.

Don't worry, I am not converting or anything. I'm still just as much of an atheist as ever. But knowledge is power, and so who better to objectively learn about the Bible than an unbiased non-believer.

I also got "Ken's Guide to the Bible," by Ken Smith. It's a bit more irreverent, focusing on the less focused on parts of the Bible (the mass killings, sex, insanity, etc., that you never cover in Sunday school). It's all backed up, chapter and verse, don't worry.

At one point, this Biblical guy Jacob has an all night wrestling match with God. I totally put my money on God winning that one. But no. He lost. And then blessed Jacob and re-named him Israel.

In the hit TV show LOST, Jacob plays a good guy. At least I think he is a good guy. It was kind of hard to tell with that show. I never did fully understand what the hell was going on in that show. I should watch it again, since it is on Netflix. Maybe if I watch episodes in rapid succession, I will get it.

But what if I do that and I still don't understand a goddam thing. Then I will just feel stupid for wasting all that time watching it.

Mainly, I just want to know what the smoke monster is all about. They explained it in the last season of the show, but honestly it was a lame explanation. I was a little bit disappointed, I have to say. Kate was my favorite.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment