10.28.2011

20 Minutes - The Last Holiday Season Before Armageddon Starts...NOW!

Hi. It's Joe.

So, you may be wondering why I always throw a thumbnail image over there on the right hand side of my blog posts. Or you might not, I don't know.

I have been trying to read more. But more importantly, I have been trying to stick to just one book at a time and actually read more with an intention to finish said book.

The thumbnail indicates the MAIN book I am reading at the time of the post I am writing. Right now, this book is Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted," which my mom sent me. It's a quite fascinating historical critical analysis of Jesus and the Bible. I am learning a lot.

But I say this is my MAIN book because I am also reading Richard Dawkin's "The Ancestor's Tale," which is a backwards journey through the evolutionary history of humans.

It's rather ironic that my SECONDARY book is this one, don't you think? I mean, compared with evolutionary history, Biblical history is a fleeting blink of an eye. It barely happened. In fact, it's still happening.

Not sure I was really going anywhere with that, but I just think it's interesting how much value we put on religion compared to the 3.5 billion years (give or take) that preceeded it on the planet called Earth. We ought to, as many "primitive" cultures do, pay more tribute to our ancestors. Until humans developed agriculture and societies, all of our ancestors had to fend for themselves in a fairly hostile world.

A lot of them didn't make it. But YOURS did, if you are reading this. Don't you want to thank your ancestors, human, primate, rodent, amphibian, fish, invertebrate, etc? I do. They kicked ass through thick and thin, and here I am. Thanks ancestors! I realize you all had no idea what you were doing at the time, and it's quite possible I might be the end of the line. But my fate doesn't devalue your AWESOMENESS.

Anyway, this year is supposedly the final year of humanity and the world, if the conspiracy theorists are right. That means this weekend sort of marks the beginning of the final holiday season EVER. It would be cool if Jesus came back on Christmas day. I mean, there is no reason why that would make any kind of sense. It would just be cool, because humans have assigned that day as Jesus' birthday, arbitrarily (it's not in the Bible). So his re-appearance would kind of be like a rebirth, so to speak.

I thought a zombie apocalypse might be cool, but then I watched Season 1 of "The Walking Dead," and now I am not so sure I want to battle living dead. It would be fun for a little while, then it would get old and it would be anxiety-causing...to always be on the lookout for surprise attacks. One bite, and that's it, you're a zombie. Unless, you are one of the very small percentage of people who are genetically immune to the zombie plague.

That's the great thing about evolution and natural selection. No matter how messed up things get, there will always be survivors who carry on. Not necessarily human survivors, but even in the worst scenarios, bacteria, roaches, and maybe even rodents would do OK. That's enough genetic diversity to get things rolling again in this crazy thing called LIFE.

Well, my time is up. I was just procrastinating because I am still at work and I wanted to avoid the nutty rush hour traffic when I drive home. It's about 6:30 pm now and the worst of the zippety doo dah Beamer drivers are probably at home eating dinner by now.

Just quick, GUPPY EFFECT rocks a Halloween House Party tomorrow night. Jeebus Preebus (power trio version of my new band, sans SPS) is likely going to make a brief appearance and rock 3-5 tunes. Then I am hosting open mic at Waterhouse Cafe in Lake Mills WI next Thursday November 3. Then I don't think I have any more rocking until November 26, when GUPPY EFFECT rocks Carps Landing in Lake Mills WI.

I am hoping some time in the interim, I can pull together Kyle, Peter, and Branden to develop a new original band startup. If everyone is into it, it should go smoothly. I wonder if Kyle is back from whitewater rafting in Colorado yet...

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment