1.19.2014

A Good Day to You

Happy Sunday. I don't know about you, but my weekend has been too short. There is so much I want to get done.

I wanted to crank out this morning blog post before the day gets away from me. At noon, I am going to spend an hour or so practicing GUPPY EFFECT songs, ahead of practice tonight at 4 or 5 PM. Then I am going to work on some writing for a while. I need to transcribe some of the recordings I took interviewing my folks about their lives before I came into the world. That's time consuming. I also need to transcribe more of my travelogue about the country band road trip up to Minocqua last weekend. Not much happened on that trip, other than some excellent rocking, but I am honing my travelogue writing skills, so even though that will never see the light of day (except maybe as a fiction, with names changed, at some later date), it's a good exercise.

I am listening to a recording of an interview I did with my dad about his growing up in Melbourne, Australia and all his relatives. My Australian grandfather's middle name was Edgerton, the namesake of a town in the area of Ballarat and Bendigo.

My dad's ancestors were most likely Welsh coal miners who emigrated to Ballarat and Bendigo, Australia, which were gold mining towns, in the mid-19th century. It's not clear if they came for gold mining, but their descendants ended up becoming entrepreneurs in the Melbourne area in the early and mid-20th century.

My father's dad and uncle owned a fairly large automotive repair shop in Melbourne and his grandmother owned the St. Kilda baths, basically a cove of sea water partitioned off off into a swimming hole. It has since been converted into a modern day sports club, with a swimming pool and gym and such, but it still has a club downstairs called "Leonard's Cabaret," a vestige of my family's prior involvement. His aunt Maude was a restauranteur in Melbourne, owning two large restaurants in Melbourne, called Elizabeth Collins and Russell Collins, that existed from the 1940s to the 1970s, according to some web research I did on the subject.

Anyway, time to go practice. But before I do, I have to take care of some SEO business.

The past couple of days, I wrote blog posts about Zen Buddhism and Zen meditation. That's probably enough on that subject, but I wanted to mention it so I could throw in the back links.

No comments:

Post a Comment