1.10.2014

Friday January 10 - Somewhere in the Cosmos

Last night, the country band, DRIVEWAY THRIFTDWELLERS (DWTD), hosted my birthday party show at Mr. Roberts in Madison WI.

It seems a bit self-aggrandizing to have my own band host my own party, but who else is going to do it? That's my logic.

Having a band makes it pretty easy to book a venue for a party too. You just find a date the venue has open and tell them you want to book your band. You can be really flexible and negotiable on terms, because you are not trying to make a buck, just have a free venue for a party. In the past, I have played pro bono. But last night, we got $150. Thus, we actually got paid to have a party. That's cool.

The band has two shows tomorrow (Saturday, January 11) in Minocqua WI. We were going to cruise up there today so we would have a night to chillax before the long day of rocking tomorrow, but laziness and weather got the better of us. It makes better use of our time to kick around here today, since most of us took the day off, and get stuff done without having to drive 4 hours in questionable weather. Plus, I can get a solid night of sleep before the early morning road trip up to Minocqua.

We are playing ICE COLD BEER FEST in Minocqua at 3 PM on Saturday afternoon. Then we are playing at the Minocqua Brewing Company on Saturday night, around 8 PM. It's going to be a very intense day of music. That would be the case if we drove up today or tomorrow. So my logic is that we should just make a marathon day of it tomorrow and relax today. That could change. A couple of the band mates are already heading up there today. The lead singer/rhythm guitarist had to work in Wausau today. The lead guitarist has family up in the Minocqua area, so he headed up early to hang out with them, I guess. I am carpooling with the drummer no matter when we decide to leave. So I am at his whimsy, but I think he is on the same page as me, about chilling out at home today and road tripping madhouse marathon tomorrow.

I took the day off from work today. I am going to do some writing and practice the country songs a couple of more times. That will only make the shows tomorrow a million times better. Well, I don't know about a million times, but better. I am going to go write a separate post now about something I thought of. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment