3.28.2014

Chillaxin'

The eagle has landed. I am back from my nice trip to Colorado to visit family. Tonight is the calm before the storm and I am going to take full advantage of it by largely chilling out and relaxing, aka chillaxing.

I do find the cupboard bare because I handed off all my perishable foods to my friend Sherry before my five day journey. So unless I want to eat Cheerios for dinner, I do need to make a trek to Piggly Wiggly for some stir fry or salad fixings. But that is about the extent of my efforts for tonight.

I do have some clerical duties to attend to with respect to my next contract gig that starts soon but I do believe I can conquer those minor tasks "on the morrow," as they say in the vernacular. The morrow happens to be Saturday and the contract firm doesn't need said papers until Monday, I presume, being as it is already after hours on Friday.

I can validate the need for chillaxation tonight on the grounds that the rest of this weekend will be quite labor intensive. In addition to the aforementioned clericals upon which my near term livelihood loosely depends, I will be putting in several hours in the recording studio tracking songs with my country band, DRIVEWAY THRIFTDWELLERS, on Saturday evening and most of Sunday. The Sunday session(s) will be followed by the open jam/stage at Funk's Pub in Fitchburg, at which I will both perform and live stream the performances of others on the Web. I have been doing this rather successfully for a while now.

Before heading to the recording studio on Saturday, I have several chores to accomplish. At 8 AM, I will pick up my dog Buddy at the kennel and drop him off at home before driving to Waukesha to pick up my other dog Foster, who my friend Sherry was kindly dog sitting this week. Sherry and I will probably go out for coffee and commisseration for a spell, since both of us are currently exercising our free agency in the universe and trying to find sources of underwriting for our excellent lives, via THE MAN.

On that topic, when I get back from Waukesha tomorrow, probably about 1 PM, I will complete the paperwork for the contract gig that I am putting off tonight in favor of slackery. This mostly involves scanning into my computer the forms I largely completed whilst in Colorado and emailing them back to my esteemed colleague at the recruiting firm. I believe I can accomplish that in about an hour, which will give me ample margin to take my dogs to the dog park around 3 PM when there is putatively a showing of my house, which is up for sale. I am optimistic my house will sell this year. It is an awesome house and it has served me well. I will miss it but it is about time I move closer to Madison, where I conduct most of my business and pleasure these days. I will not miss the commute, even though I have grown quite accustomed to it these past 7+ years. My poor little 2001 Prius, while still a valiant workhorse, is nearing 200,000 miles and I would like it to be able to live out its retirement years in as chillaxed a way as possible, mainly some short city trips punctuated with the occasional fun road trip to somewhere.

I am actually going house hunting with my realtor on Monday. I am not sure I will find something I like, nor would I be able to make an offer on a new house until my current one sells, but I would like to see what's out there.

So that is basically my action packed weekend, carrying over into Monday a little bit. I hope it is clear why it is so important that I slack off, laze about, loaf, and generally do nothing useful tonight except eat and maybe watch a little Dexter on Netflix. I need to recharge and have all possible brain power available to me this weekend.

Speaking of loafing, I just started a new book. It is called "Doing Nothing: A History of Loafers, Loungers, Slackers, and Bums in America," by Tom Lutz, a former ne'er-do-well turned non-fiction writer in middle age, not unlike my own unofficial business plan. I thought it might be kind of a trivial screed but Lutz does quite in depth research on the nature of work and its institutionalized avoidance by some people and groups. I think I can consider it source material for my own book on maximixing one's human potential while minimizing the burden of labor in one's life.

I am only on Chapter One, and already I have learned that for most of history, work was considered something not to aspire to, but a necessary evil and sometimes a duty. It is only in the modern day that the idea of work for work's sake has taken root as a virtue and many people reject the idea, myself included, which has given rise to the idea of the slacker personified. Historically, slacking was the aspiration of most people and so an iconoclastic slacker persona did not really exist. Work is a means to an end, but holds no intrinsic value in and of itself, even in the arts. It is, as I mentioned earlier, necessary and sometimes distasteful underwriting for the higher aspirations in life like art and intellect.

I sat next to a pleasant woman on the last leg of my flight home tonight. She was on her way to Madison to assess the possibility of attending graduate school at UW in chemistry. We had a delightful, albeit short, discourse on the plane and exchanged contact information for future networking. It is somewhat rare for me to have an agreeable traveling companion on a flight in North America, so that was a nice way to round out my travels.

Well, I have slacked off quite enough writing this diatribe on my blog. My belly longs for food and I feel compelled to acquiesce to its call.

Ciao, my dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment