12.07.2014

Letting Go

On the launch (ferry) from Heron Island back to Gladstone on the mainland, I came to the horrible realization that I had lost my prized water bottle that has been my thirst quenching companion for most of this fantastic vacation in Australia, and in fact for most of the past several years of my life - apparently carelessly left on a table or countertop somewhere on that Great Barrier Reef island, never to be seen again.

I was very attached to that water bottle, even though it is incapable of sharing that sentiment as an inanimate object, because it has served me well. I don't know why I should feel so attached to it and I think that attachment alarms me more than the loss itself.

So I need to let it go. I have no choice, really. It is gone and presently unrecoverable because I cannot return to Heron Island again in the foreseeable future. Thus, I must screw my courage to the sticking post and embrace letting it go. I find it difficult to do so. That bottle was comforting, like a security blanket, but I don't know why, and it bothers me.

Anyway, I am accepting the loss.

Perhaps, years from now, I may return to Heron Island, maybe with a family of my own. It would be something of a miracle if I were to locate my water bottle, unharmed, at the bottom of a bin of lost and found items at the Reception Desk of the resort. I should let it go, and yet, I feel a surprising sense of loss or maybe guilt or even regret. Perhaps this is because I have had near losses of this bottle in the past, but have always been able to recover it. This time, there is no chance for expedient recovery and I am a bit cross at myself for not being more careful and diligent about the whereabouts of my water bottle. That is actually the best explanation for my angst.

I will secure a replacement bottle. It will be in most respects identical. Once in hand, I probably won't even miss my old trusty water bottle. A water bottle doesn't care. It serves a purpose that can be served identically by any number of other water bottles. The new water bottle may even be superior to the old, made of more modern plastics that leak less BPA into the aqueous medium contained within.

No comments:

Post a Comment