7.10.2015

Let the Weather Guide You

Increasingly, as I get older, I like to adapt to weather patterns for maximum comfort. If all goes well, when next February comes to Wisconsin with its brutal cold and icy winds, I’ll be going to Sanibel Island in Florida, preferably by way of a cruise with my excellent girlfriend Deborah. Take that Wisconsin winter!

I do not mind heat. I once rode my bike 110 miles in 110 degree heat on RAGBRAI about three years ago. I sweated balls and it was ridiculously hot, but I loved it. I had to stop every chance I got to pound ice cold Gatorade, or I would have died of heat stroke. But whatever. This weekend I will be in Shell Lake WI, about 250 miles north of Madison WI, where ironically it will be about 5-10 degrees warmer than here. That warmth will be buffered by cool offshore breezes coming across the spring fed lake on which my family's cabin sits.

However, I can’t stand cold weather and there is no amount of physical or behavioral adaptation I can do locally to make it OK. I basically have to migrate. Shoveling snow, while an excellent workout, is a terrible thing to do. Hot beverages don’t make a dent in my chilled bones. My birthday in January is usually the only ember of joy I can find to warm my cockles after the tolerable thrill of the December holidays has passed.

Part of it has to do with the short day length in winter in the northern hemisphere. I probably succumb to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to some extent, or as I like to call it…Seasonal Affective Disorder of Doom and Despair (SADDD). Therefore, I can find no joy in winter weather. I need to retire in a semi-arid or semi-tropical location some day. It will be awesome to do February Album Writing Month (FAWM) from a time share on the Gulf Coast of Florida in 2016. I am looking forward to seeing how the moderate Florida weather will color my songwriting.

Well, that’s enough for today. This post is already in violation of my current penchant for short posts. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment