8.14.2015

The Debit

As Joe sat down at the table at the Hop Cat brewpub, he remembered something, with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

He reached into his pocket and withdrew his wallet, peering into the slot where he kept his credit and debit cards.

“Aw shite,” he said to his girlfriend Deborah. “You are not going to believe this.”

“What happened?” Deborah asked.

“Remember how I said, 'don’t let me forget to close my tab at Capital' before we left?” Joe queried, rhetorically. “I totally forgot to close it.”

Deborah looked at her watch. “Maybe we can stop back there on the way home.”

Joe shook his head. “No it is after nine. They close at nine. I’ll just get it tomorrow.”

***
The next day, Joe stopped by the Capital Brewery a little before noon, en route to his chiropractic appointment. The brew house wasn’t open to the public at this hour, but the front door was unlocked. Joe went in and walked up the short stairway into the main hallway. The door to the brewery’s business office was on the right and he could hear a woman talking inside. He knocked lightly on the door.

“Oh, say, I have to go,” he heard the woman say, apparently to someone on the phone. “There is someone at the door and I am the only person in the office right now.”

Notwithstanding, the woman continued to talk with the person on the phone for a minute or so longer. Joe peered through the large window to the left of the office door and made eye contact with the woman inside the office. He gave her a friendly wave, the universal sign of “there’s no rush, but I am out here…” even though he was in a little bit of a hurry to get to his chiropractic appointment.

The woman finally got off the phone and opened the door.

“Can I help you?” she asked.

“Yeah, HI,” Joe said. “I am picking up a debit card that was left here last night?”

“Well, you picked the worst possible time to do that,” the woman said. “I don’t have access to the safe and the woman who does isn’t here right now.”

“Oh, OK,” Joe replied. “What would be a good time to stop back?”

“She went to the bank,” the woman said. ”I would guess she will be back in 20 minutes or so.”

“I will stop back then. Thanks,” Joe said and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment