9.25.2015

Free Day

Yesterday I gave myself a personal day off from my day job to work on my art and it was excellent. I got up about 8 AM and had a nice breakfast and coffee, fed and medicated the dogs, and did a little banking and checkbook balancing on my computer (it was pay day!).

Then from about 10 AM to 6 PM solid, I pretty much exclusively worked on music, learning Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” album in it’s entirety on bass, as well as The Police’s “Walking on the Moon” and David Bowie’s “Moonage Daydream.”

You may have noticed a theme there. All of this music is related to the moon in some way. That’s because this Sunday is a super moon lunar eclipse, an event that only happens once every 5 million years (actually, that’s not true…I think the next one is in 38 years or something…). A super moon is when the moon is at its closest distance to Earth and when a lunar eclipse happens then, it is the most eclipsed the moon can ever be. So I had the crazy idea that this Sunday’s open jam stage at Funks Pub in Fitchburg could be moon/eclipse themed and this idea was received well by the weekly Funks jam organizers, who fully endorsed learning “Dark Side,” as it’s called in the vernacular. I wasn't able to convince them to add the Police and Bowie songs, but I just wanted to learn them for my own ongoing musical repertoire. I am driven that way.



About 2 PM, I did take a break to go cash a check at the bank (I sold Deborah’s Yamaha drum kit to some music peeps I know), buy some canned dog food for Foster (post dental fiasco), and pick up my CSA box with vegetables and free range eggs, which I get every Thursday afternoon. That took about an hour in all, so I was back to rocking by 3 PM and got a nice seven hours of focused music time. I should keep track of how much time I spend on music, so if I ever make any money at it, I can calculate my average wage. As a free agent in the universe, my time is usually billed at between $20/hr and $30/hr depending on what I am doing. That’s what my time is worth to me. My ex-veterinarian apparently bills at $300/hr for some tasks, like surgery. I don’t feel bad about asking a 10th of that for when I am doing music or writing for others.

About 7 PM, Deborah and I drove to Sun Prairie to see M. Night Shyamalan’s movie, The Visit, with my friend Sherry and her boyfriend. It was actually very good, I thought. The plot made sense and was internally consistent, the acting was great, and it had a good mix of funny and scary. After the movie, we went to the Nitty Gritty in Sun Prairie for drinks, and Deborah and I had a late dinner.

All told it was a pretty great free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment