12.05.2016

17% Fluent in Spanish


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Joe Leonard, ragbraijoe@yahoo.com

MADISON WI, December 5, 2016 - Upon completion of today's language learning exercises in the free Duolingo app, Cactus Joe discovered he was 17% fluent in Spanish, according to the algorithm used by the app to assess this.

"I have no clue how it's calculated, and I doubt many users do," said Cactus Joe. "But I have been doing the Spanish modules in Duolingo daily for over two months now and this is good progress. I was 9% fluent when I started."

Naysayers pointed out that this means Cactus Joe is 83% non-fluent in Spanish.

"Fair point," Joe said. "I can read and understand written Spanish a fair amount of the time, but I still can't really comprehend spoken Spanish unless the speaker talks really slowly. But with practice I'll get there eventually."

According to Duolingo, Cactus Joe is 0% fluent in Welsh, the other language he is learning.

"It's just an insane language," Joe said. "Words change their spellings in different contexts and they have sounds not found in English that are hard to pronounce. Still it's a fun learning experience and Duolingo is like an educational game. Rosetta Stone language software is far superior to Duolingo, but it costs an arm and a leg, whereas Duolingo is free."

No comments:

Post a Comment