12.30.2016

Holiday Travels Part 11 - Julienne More

Tonight my sister Kate made rice noodles for our family dinner at her house. Due to some excessive holiday eating lately, and in anticipation of the new year that is nigh upon us, I sought a lower calorie option for dinner (nothing against my sister's cooking whatsoever). We discussed making pasta substitute for me using a veggie spiralizer machine that my sister thought she had, but she couldn't find it. She was, however, able to supply me with an ample substitute, a "julienne" style vegetable shredder that converted the yellow squash and zucchini I'd bought earlier in the day into delightfully thin pasta-like strands. These I steam blanched for about five minutes until the faux pasta was al dente. After ladling on some meat sauce, I could hardly tell that I was eating healthy, low calorie vegetables instead of actual pasta.

Now, I'm not a materialistic person as my friends and family can attest to. That being said, my birthday is coming up on January 9th. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...if someone perchance got me a veggie spiralizer like THIS ONE (the device my sis could not locate), I would definitely get a lot of use out of it. Even the simpler julienne shredder I ended up using would be more than ample for my needs.

Of course, I don't expect any presents from anyone. I can always score one of these devices myself. But I thought I would just put this idea out to the Cosmos and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment