1.16.2017

It's a Glum One

From my vantage point reclining on my papasan* chair in my study, I can see out the window that it's a glum day out there, an icy rain falling from overcast skies. It's the kind of day that makes you want to stay inside a warm house reclining on a papasan chair, and I am fully succumbing to that desire. However, my day was not always in this state of comfortable equilibrium. Nay. This morning, I took my car to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, during which time Deborah and I went to the gym. The parking lot at Jiffy Lube was an ice skating rink, but luckily I did not fall on my arse. The gym lot was better, but we still had to be careful.

Being as it is MLK Day today, and many people have off from work, the gym was crowded. However, no one had usurped the situp bench when I got there, so I was able to pound out 150 crunches before finding an exercise bike on which to burn fat, as they say in the vernacular, for about 50 minutes. According to the machine's computer, I did 715 kilocalories of work. In other words, I burned 715 calories. The intensity level was moderate and my heart rate did not go much above 130 bpm, so I was solidly in fat burning mode. I skipped swimming today because Deborah did not feel like doing it and the lap pool was packed to the gills. In the locker room after my aerobic biking, there was a man with Down's Syndrome milling about and trying to engage people in conversation. Most of the people in the locker room were ignoring him, which I thought was a little cold, so I chatted with him for a couple minutes.

"Howa you?" he asked me after I had opened my locker to change.

"Pretty good," I replied. "How about yourself?"

The guy sat down on one of the locker room benches.

"Good," he said. "Wajoo do last Saturday?"

"Not much," I said. "I think I came here and exercised. That's about it."

"That's too bad," he said.

"I thought it was actually pretty good," I countered. "I had a good workout."

"Oh," he said. "Did you capella?"

That's what it sounded like he said. "Capella? What's that?" I asked.

"It's like this," he said, making the universal hand sign for drinking alcoholic beverages.

"Oh, well, I don't really drink," I said, a slight fib, since I occasionally drink wine these days.

"You should," he said. Another guy nearby in the locker room chuckled at this.

"Oh yeah? How come?" I asked.

"Cuz it's fun," he replied.

"Well, it's not for everyone," I said. "I'm going to go take a shower now, so we can talk later, OK?"

"OK," he said. He got up and wandered toward the locker room exit as I headed for the showers.

It was just as ridiculous and imbecilic a conversation as it sounds, but I was glad I engaged the guy, since he probably just needed a little attention from someone. Consider that my good deed for the day.

I'm going to spend most of the rest of today drafting my letter of intent for grad school in marriage and family therapy at Edgewood College, due February 1. I am trusting all my references to get their letters in by the deadline as well. Cross your fingers!

*I have been wrongly calling this style of chair a rattan chair in previous posts. Apologies. FYI, these chairs are ridiculously comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment