1.18.2017

The #1 Bestselling Book According to Science (and a Computer)

So, some brainiacs developed a computer algorithm that can predict what kind of fiction books will become bestsellers (with 80% accuracy when applied retrospectively to books already on the New York Times Bestseller List) [SOURCE].

Now, you can go read about this algorithm in the Atlantic magazine's great article about it HERE.


But what interested me most was that there was only one novel that met ALL of the algorithms thousands of criteria for what makes a bestseller. That book was "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. GO DAVE!

So naturally, I ordered the book from Amazon, hoping that the scientists who designed the algorithm were not receiving graft from Mr. Eggers at the time. Maybe I can learn a thing or two to apply to my own writing. Or maybe I am just a sucker.

That being said, another novel that scores high as a bestseller according to the algorithm is "50 Shades of Grey." Blech!

No comments:

Post a Comment