12.02.2009

Folk Music and Bluegrass Snobs

Hi. It's Joe.

I super dig the music of one PETER MULVEY. He's a phenomenal folk Americana singer/songwriter, and one of the few whose live show really blows my mind out. I try to see him whenever I can.

I'd even pay $20 to see him. But not $22.50. You probably think this is hair splitting, but I will explain what the hell I am talking about.

$20 is a lot of money these days. I too am a SELF EMPLOYED MUSICIAN. Only the BEST of the BEST musical artists can demand $20 of my hard earned money, and they had better blow my mind out of my rectum for that price. I never go to concerts anymore, since most of them cost well beyond the means of the average working American, and provide very little in return. I even started my own free MUSIC VENUE called CACTUS JOE'S COUCH CONCERT to provide awesome music for people in a way that avoids everything bad about commercial music venues and keeps everything good. So $20 is the acceptable limit for only the BEST music performances.

So why is Cafe Carpe in Fort Atkinson charging $22.50 (an obviously ARBITRARY amount of money) for the PETER MULVEY performance there on 12/15/09?

I don't know. But what I do know is that the venue reeks of folk music snobbery. You know the type of person. The ones who got so bent out of shape when Bob Dylan went electric (but not when he went FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN). The principle snob is the owner of the place. Every time I have met him I get a really arrogant, standoffish vibe. If you are a high ranking member of the folk music elite, he prostrates himself before you. But if you are an AVERAGE JOE like you and me, he looks down on you like less than dirt. Every time I have had the displeasure of meeting him, he emanates a really arrogant vibe.

Don't believe me? Think I am being an ASSHOLE? Well, I will show you proof and let you be the judge...

READ THIS: Cafe Carpe Booking Treatise

A "treatise" no less. What gall!

No, my friends, it is not I who am the ASSHOLE...it is I who am being RAPED UP MY ASS in order to see and hear one of the most PHENOMENAL MUSICIANS currently rocking it (yes, folk snobs, ROCKING...try it some time.). $20 yes. $22.50 go to hell and rot there!

Furthermore, PETER MULVEY is a Wisconsin native. He has friends and family right here. A lot of them will be attending the show. Why does he need to get this much money to perform? ANSWER: He doesn't. He could play for $15 or less and still make bank. $22.50 is going to keep a lot of people OUT, and that is exactly what the Cafe Carpe wants. They will bring in the wealthy folk elites and then RAPE THEM ALL on over-priced drinks while keeping the hoi poloi out, so we don't sully their royal court of folkery.

OK, I feel better.

Carry on.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/03/2009

    Your not the "asshole" - bill camplin at the carp is.

    IS THERE ANYTHING THAT IS MORE OF AN OXIMORON THAN "FOLK STAR!?!?!?!" Hell, its plain, simple music that "any folk" can sing and play.

    That is what he sees himself as - a SUPERSTAR. I would stay away from that place - the stench of "folk snobbery" is just too much.

    More and more people know that now too - on any given night you will find the bar totally empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, good. I thought maybe it was just me.

    ReplyDelete