3.24.2010

10 Minutes - The Medicare Part E (for "Everybody") Public Option

Hi. It's Joe.

I ran 3.4 miles today, with my dog Buddy in tow. I call that "preventive medicine."

It might stop me from having a heart attack or getting Alzheimer's, but it won't stop that bus from hitting me or that dog from biting me. In fact, it probably increases my risk of those accidental things, even though there aren't many buses in Cambridge WI (but there are ornery redneck types in pickup trucks who have ornery dogs...).

On the return leg of my run, a bloody great Bull Mastiff came charging across someone's yard toward us, a subsonic growl signaling it's presence to me as I ran.

"Holy shit," I said matter-of-factly, as the beast set its sights on Buddy, who was dwarfed by the lion-sized dog.

I waited for tragedy to ensue. It did, but not as I expected...

Seeing a 200 pound ferocious dog lion reduced to a whimpering, frothing-at-the-mouth, cretin by an invisible (electric) fence is a sight to behold. The galloping monster was stunned in its tracks, making an immediate about face and heading back across its owner's yard, stump of a tail pointing at the area between its legs where an actual tail would have cowered.

Besides a few reckless drivers, no other events affected my run. I stretched when I got home, showered, and then did my civic duty online, promoting House Bill HR4789, which I learned about on Public Radio today.

Corporate media, the insurance industry, and the politicians they have under their thumbs do not want you to know about HR4789. But I do.

Watch this...



It's really simple.

Any American can buy into Medicare "at cost."

It makes Medicare available to all legal resident Americans who want it and want to pay for it themselves, with a few minor modifications to Medicare that fit in the four (4) short pages that make up HR4789 - stuff like adjusting premiums downward for younger, healthier age brackets based on standard actuarial tables used by the private insurance companies. It actually costs less for most people under 65.

Think about it, right now taxpayers foot Medicare for the elderly, the 1/8 of the population with the largest health care costs. HR4789 doesn't change this. It just makes Medicare available to everyone else, whose use of health care is less than that of the elderly, in general. Plus, everyone else has to pay for it (the premiums) themselves, out of pocket.

It costs taxpayers nothing, because Medicare's infrastructure already exists and those under 65 who want it pay "out of pocket." There is no effect on the deficit at all, because Medicare's administrators simply adjust their cost for the added burden of people on their rolls, and change premiums accordingly.

If people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. That's the beauty of this "free market" the right-wingers are so fond of (unless it helps the needy).

But this option also makes Medicare cheaper, because you make it available to younger, healthier individuals who pay the appropriate premiums. In addition, medical financial records are centralized, easing administration costs.

Right now, only 1/8 of the American population - seniors - can get Medicare, and it is on the taxpayers' dimes. It is like saying only OLD PEOPLE can drive on the public highways (horrifying to think about).

I support HR4789.

Read about it here: http://huff.to/cTOrtG

READ THE BILL ITSELF HERE.

If you support it too, ask your representative to support it.

Time.

(NOTE: I copied some of this content from another of my blogs, which is why this post seems longer than most. All I had to do was cut and paste, make a few minor edits. I probably shouldn't have titled this "10 Minutes." That is a bit misleading.)

No comments:

Post a Comment