5.25.2010

10 Minutes - If You Buy a Bass 5-String: Washburn T25 Bass vs. Peavey Grind Bass

Hi. It's Joe.

I play bass guitar. I'm not awesome, but I am pretty damn good. Much better than I am on guitar. While I do a lot of my song writing on guitar, so I can hear the chord progressions against the melodies better, I much prefer to play bass guitar when I play live. That is probably the main reason why I have an awesome indie rock power trio called GUPPY EFFECT. For all the headaches of running a fully functional rock-n-roll band, it is awesome to have a vehicle for performing my original songs live. My guitar player is quite good at learning my songs on guitar so that I can play bass guitar in GUPPY EFFECT. I do the same for his original rock songs, so he can play guitar.

Washburn Taurus T25 5-String Neck-Thru Electric Bass Guitar Natural MahoganyAnyway, this is my bass guitar. You can click on the picture (on left) to see a larger image and get deets on it. It's a 5-string Washburn T25 bass and I love it. It's by far the best bass I have ever owned. I bought it used from a friend in Iowa. I had played his bass a few times when our respective bands had shared stages over the years and I always dug its warm punchiness. So when I found out he was selling it (you idiot!), I snatched it up as soon as I was able to ditch my 5-string Peavey Grind Bass for the cash.

My 5-string Washburn T25 bass may not be the best bass guitar I ever played (I have had my hands on some really nice and EXPENSIVE instruments that are excellent in proportion to their high cost.), but amongst 5-string bass guitars I can actually AFFORD, my 5-string Washburn bass is the top dog. It plays like a much pricier bass, and it has a wide frequency range from warm and punchy to crisp and slappy. I will continue to play this bass for years to come, until such time as my songwriting earns me enough cashola to land a really sweet, expensive bass guitar.

I like playing a 5-string bass guitar. Even though I have a nice 4-string Fender Jazz Bass, that I love to play when I do slap bass (ala Louis Johnson of the Brothers Johnson) or just don't want to think as hard (I still sometimes forget about the extra string on the 5-string bass when I am performing...I was weened on 4-string...), having that low B string to vibrate people's innards at a live show is priceless.

Anyway, the Washburn T25 5-string electric bass has Cactus Joe's highest endorsement. I have had this bass for two years, and it has survived many an intense rock-n-roll show. It stays in tune and I have never broken a string on it. That's priceless.

Peavey Grind Bass 5 BXP NTB 5-String Electric BassMy previous bass, the aforementioned 5-string Peavey Grind Bass (on right, click pic for more...), used to break strings all the time, and that gets expensive. It was a great bass for hard rock and metal, with a crisp metallic sound, but the range of warm and punchy frequencies was very small. Since I play a variety of musical styles now, I needed more frequency dynamic range and warmth. The 5-string Washburn T25 bass gives me that perfectly.

I also have a 6-string custom fretless Carvin bass guitar. I pull it out when I am really going to be breaking it down on some funkadelic space jams. It's a sweet instrument, but the high C string is really pretty superfluous for all but the most virtuosic of bass solos. I much prefer to lay down a phat solid low-end foundation of groove and let the other instrumentalists handle the high frequency end of the rock-n-roll cosmos.

If you are researching to buy 6-string basses, TALK TO ME first. I will be glad to share my opinions.

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment