6.23.2010

10 Minutes - Cod Liver Oil and Vitamin D for Productivity

Hi. It's Joe.

Cod Liver Oil Super 1000 mg Softgels 250 GelsI wrote a lengthy blog post today about cod liver oil, and why I favor it as a fish oil source of essential omega-3 fatty acids.

It is because cod liver oil is one of the richest natural sources of vitamin D3, a vitamin (actually, technically a hormone) that is deficient in the diet of most people (especially those in northern climates eating a largely American style diet).

So by taking cod liver oil to get ample amounts of essential fatty acids DHA and EPA (only obtainable from dietary sources and supplements, because our bodies can't manufacture them), we are also supplementing with vitamin D, and killing two nutritional birds, so to speak, at the same time.

You see? My eight (8) years in R&D at a vitamin company did me some good. Most of what I learned there is that the nutritional supplement industry is largely a sham, but there were a few pearls of wisdom I picked up that I am happy to share. The main thing is that if you are eating a whole food diet and exercising (and not smoking), you really don't need nutritional supplements and vitamins.

But most people don't eat healthy or exercise, so vitamin supplementation is sometimes needed. Fish oil and vitamin D3 are two of the best examples. Because of how the modern diet has changed due to agriculture, most people don't get enough omega-3 fatty acids, which as I said can only be obtained from diet. Vitamin D is obtained from diet AND sunlight (the skin manufactures it in response to UV rays). As a society, we have become so fearful of sun exposure, due to the risk of skin cancer, that we avoid it, thus depleting ourselves of needed vitamin D. It is especially bad for people in northern climates, who rarely see any sun exposure during the winter.

For these people, it is crucial to supplement with vitamin D during the winter months. Tanning can also help with vitamin D levels. Low vitamin D levels have been associated with the seasonal depression that some people get in winter, which gives new meaning to vitamin D's nickname, the "sunshine" vitamin.

Anyway, check it out if you want to.

It's been stormy around here lately, because of global warming. It just seems stormier every year. I don't like the direction humanity is going. While I know individual people are smart, it seems like society as a whole is really dumb. Do you think so? Comment below.



I performed to an empty Waterhouse Cafe in Lake Mills WI today. It's OK though. Live practice. I wanted to write an article this afternoon, but my sources did not come through for me. I will have to try again tomorrow. As soon as I finish this post, I am going to shower up and head to the Brink Lounge in Madison WI to host my open mic night. It should be a breeze. I have two musicians showcasing. All I have to do is sit back and let them rock. Then I get $50 just for hosting.

It almost doesn't seem fair. But actually it is hard work. It's a lot like working three (3) hours every week on the local CSA farm in exchange for free produce all summer. It seems like a total bargain, with the huge amounts of food they give me for my labors. It's hard work under the hot sun, but I really enjoy it because it is 100% productive. Unlike in Corporate America, local agricultural America has a purpose and it manifests that purpose efficiently. There is no dicking around on the farm. But there is a lot of dicking around in Corporate America.

My gosh, if Corporate America could be as productive and efficient as the CSA farm, we'd be an unstoppable economic force.

Unfortunately, there are too many vitamin D deficient people in Corporate America, and I think that is why Corporate America can be so wasteful and unproductive. I am not kidding. It has been shown that the fluorescent lighting in office cubicle spaces can actually decrease vitamin D levels in the skin.

Time.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this blog Joe. While I am reluctant to say a general statement the "People are stupid," I am not reluctant to ask, "where are our priorities?"

    There in lies the people problem, "priorities." We live in a very shallow and callow society and as I glance across the oceans and see that other societies want to imitate us because of our wealth, it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, some developing countries want to progress the way we did. But most post-industrial European countries think we are a bunch of backwoods hicks who couldn't find our asses with 2 hands and a flashlight. They have social programs like health care and free college.

    ReplyDelete