6.12.2010

10 Minutes - How to Publish a Song

Hi. It's Joe.

Place songs in Film and TV on BroadjamToday, I was the VIP and honored guest at the Friday staff luncheon at BROADJAM.COM in Madison WI. They served up all manner of goodies and we chatted for a good hour on many things musical. They are very cool people.

BROADJAM.COM itself is awesome. As a self-employed musician, one of my potential (but not yet actual) income streams is licensing my recorded songs to film and television soundtracks. This is what BROADJAM.COM specializes in (that and web hosting). They have a whole web-based infrastructure for getting music from musicians and songwriters into the hands of music supervisors who need music for whatever reason. Lots of songwriters get songs placed in TV shows, for example, and it is a great backdoor way for amateur songwriters to get a song "published," without having to have all manner of music business connections. You can think of them as like a brokerage house between buyers (music biz) and sellers (songwriters). It's a great system, and I think it is better than TAXI's model. With TAXI you only got one reviewer who decided if your song submission(s) lived or died. I am sure they were really talented people, but one single individual person cannot possibly be right all the time.

BROADJAM.COM does it a little differently. Firstly, the supervisor is forwarded ALL submissions. With TAXI, the supervisor only received the songs that made it past the one lone single screener. The BROADJAM.COM submissions are ranked using a peer-review system, and the ranking is used to determine what songs the music supervisor hears first. That way, there is more of a chance (s)he will hear the best stuff first if (s)he is on a time crunch or something.

Anyway, BROADJAM.COM is also based in Madison WI, unlike a lot of the music publishing and licensing firms that are in L.A., Nashville, or New York. This makes networking a breeze, hence today's luncheon. BROADJAM.COM has several membership levels, including a FREE MEMBERSHIP for beginners to the music licensing world, so they can learn the ropes and get their feet wet. Most people with any amount of seriousness about songwriting commercially eventually get a paid membership, because this DRAMATICALLY lowers the "per song" submission price.

After lunch, Roy Elkins met with me in his office and we talked about my rock music. He listened to some of it and gave me constructive critiques, mostly stuff I already knew, but very helpful. He said he dug a lot of it.

He really liked HOPE FOR HUMANITY, which Stefan and I expressly wrote for a specific BROADJAM.COM listing (a movie seeking songs about "HOPE"). He even said he was going to play all the songs I have on BROADJAM.COM during the afternoon, so he could get a feel for it. I think he is sincere and I hope he shares his thoughts with me eventually. He is a nice person, super generous with his time, not arrogant, easy to talk to, and welcoming. I would totally work for BROADJAM.COM if I could.

PEOPLE BROTHERS BAND played at Come Back Inn tonight, and Travis, one of the BROADJAM.COM staffers, stopped by the show. That was really super nice of him. He didn't have to go out of his way. Well, according to him he didn't. He spends many a Friday night at the Come Back Inn, says he. So it was by chance.

Another chance attendee of the PEOPLE BROTHERS BAND show was J.D. from the band Rivalry. I have seen Rivalry before and they rock. J.D.'s sister Katie is an awesome vocalist and passable guitarist. She can really wail. I'd totally date her.

I'd also date Stephanie, the super mega-hotty red head who was dancing at the PEOPLE BROTHERS BAND show tonight. Very easy on the eyes...

Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment