6.24.2013

Band Stuff and Bike Commuting

I pretty much destroyed my workload today, before noon even. So the rest of the day is gravy.

The key to successful work productivity is to get as many balls into other peoples’ courts as possible. It’s not the same as outsourcing or delegating. You are doing your part of the work, but very effectively, and then getting it as quickly as possible into someone else’s work flow and out of your own. The other people have no such high yield productivity and work ethic, so you can be fairly certain you are off the hook on work for a few hours at least.

A good paper trail is important to being effective and productive at work, to document where your various “balls” (projects) are situated. We use Sharepoint where I work. Anything that I need to work on is marked “In Progress.” The goal is simply to get everything out of the in progress state, because all the other states represent someone else’s portion of the work flow.

I did that before noon today. In a perfect world, having completed all my required duties with a maximum of quality, I should be able to take the afternoon off, like the corporate upper managers do. In point of fact, I may do that. But there is no urgency. I have time to do some creative stuff, like writing this blog post.
I bike commuted to work this morning. I rode at a leisurely pace and covered 11.8 miles in about 55 minutes. I think that ends up being something like 12.2 mph, average speed. I rode in at a fairly busy time this morning, leaving my buddy Mike’s house, where I park, about 7:45 AM and hitting some mad rush hour car and bike traffic. But I navigated it successfully.

From the vantage point of a cyclist, I cannot fathom why people suffer through automobile commuting in Madison at that time of day. It’s atrocious. I am amazed there is not more road rage.

I am going to try to bug out of here as early as I can this afternoon. I have to practice some jazz material for Tuesday Jazz Night at Mason Lounge tomorrow. On top of that, I need to work on songs for the country band, Driveway Thriftdwellers, that I am playing at Summerfest with. We have 3 more rehearsals before the show. One is this Wednesday and then we will have a marathon one on Sunday, where everything will need to be pretty well polished. Next Wednesday, we are doing a live dress rehearsal at the Mason Lounge at 8 PM. That will pretty much determine where we are at for the show on Thursday July 4th at Summerfest. I want it to be 95% or better, including both my bass parts and harmonies. A few of the musicians have been missing a lot of the practices, so I hope they have their backstrokin’ tightened up to par. But that’s not my department. I just want to make sure I am the strongest link in the chain, not the weakest.

That’s about it.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment