6.23.2013

Country Americana

I am enjoying learning the country songs that I will be performing with the Driveway Thriftdwellers at Summerfest. Some of it is more Americana than country, but the country stuff is old school. Buck Owens and Merle Haggard are actually enjoyable compared with modern pop weak sauce country. But modern pop anything is weak sauce, with rare exceptions. Anything targeted at the lowest common denominator tends to be bland and generic by design. It can't alienate or shock anyone too much or it will lose its mass appeal and profitability.

My music tends to be targeted at a niche audience. I have no idea who that niche audience is exactly, but it will have people who enjoy a little shock and awe in their musical repertoire. Just a little. It's not over the top.

In any case, I am madly learning the songs for Summerfest. They are not hard but I have to sing harmonies as well as play bass, so I need to get to the point where it is all second nature. Then it will blow some minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment