8.06.2013

Karmic Balance (or "The Unfortunate Chinaman")

I can’t believe how great things are going for me right now. It’s a little bit frightening actually, because the Law of Averages suggests that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That’s actually also Newton’s Law of Motion, but whatever. The point is, everything averages out. There is an equilibrium of good and bad in the cosmos. There cannot be a karmic imbalance between good and bad fortune in the cosmos. So there are only two ways that I can have this much of an awesome time right now and get away with it. One is spatial and the other is temporal.

SPATIAL
My awesome life could be spatially balanced by someone in China having an amazingly shitty time right now. This is a phenomenon I have named “The Unfortunate Chinaman,” though I am not sure if this is the correct nomenclature (see video below). Anyway, his misfortune balances my good fortune. Every fortune cookie he opens has a message of despair and desolation, as well as all the losing lottery numbers, and the English translation for the Chinese characters for “Fuck You.”



TEMPORAL
Conversely, my current life excellence could be just the apex of an oscillating sine wave that passes up and down through an equilibrium line of mediocrity, carrying me first up to a crest of karmic positivity, and eventually down into a trough of misfortune. If this is the case, my only recourse is just to make sure my “ship” (my body, mind, and soul…though I am skeptical the latter actually exists) sailing this stormy sea of life is constitutionally sound enough to handle being thrown about at the whimsy of the cosmos. That’s why I try to make smart choices, eat healthy, exercise, and have as much fun as possible. I give myself ample down time to restore my “soul” and recuperate from stressful periods. Maybe I just answered my own question, there. If I willfully give myself stressors, then relax for a time, I sort of keep myself oscillating.

Or maybe I am borderline manic depressive, who knows.

I had a job interview this morning. I would be geeked to land this position, from a professional development standpoint. But even if I do not get it, I will not take it to heart. I know I am pretty awesome at what I do, but I may not be the most awesome or the right fit for a given employer. So someone may best me. That doesn't mean I suck. I did my best. I gave it my all. Eventually that will pay off, if not this time, then next.

The main thing is that I proactively applied and interviewed for the job. You can't win the lottery if you do not buy a ticket, and the more tickets you buy, the better your chances of success. I like to keep my resume flying around out in the business world as much as possible. This is to give me a sense of control over my own destiny, however illusory, and to be aware of options and opportunities available so I don't miss a gold mine. But it is also to keep my current employer on notice that they cannot suck continuously if they hope to retain me. They have an obligation to make me care, if they want to keep me. So far they have been failing. I gave them a second chance and waited six months to see if they upped their game. They actually "downed" it. I didn't think it was possible for them to actually make things worse. But that's OK. They have to do what they have to do. I have to do what I have to do. If there is not mutual agreement on what is best for the both of us, I do not expect them to change. I will go where I can have an experience that is better for me.

I do believe in creating one's own destiny. This is probably the real answer to the good/bad karma quandary above. If you float through life following the path of least resistance, instead of proactively kicking ass in your small chunk of cosmos, you will be buffeted about by the whimsy of forces beyond your control. Instead, take control of those forces and make them your bitch. Then you will be happy and have a good life. It's not about how shitty things are right now. It's about whether you are going to let them stay shitty or do something about it.

That is all.

I think. I could be totally wrong.

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/09/2013

    You are not wrong. Our intentions, and subsequent choices, shape our destiny.

    From the Upanishads: "You are what your deepest desire is. As your desire is, so is your intention. As your intention is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."

    The only "problem" is that many of us (myself included, at times) go thru life without uncovering what our deepest desires are. We think we know...but we don't. Most of us clog our minds with constant negativity, whether it be from individuals around us, television or lame advertisements. Most have no idea what true desires lie beneath all the "noise" in their lives...and they never "quiet" everything around them in order to find out.
    Shara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree fully. I have banished most media and advertisements (except web thumbnails which are forever). I try to keep the negative nellies at bay. i find quietude in exercise. I probably still don't know what I want, but for now I want to write a book. Joe

    ReplyDelete