9.06.2013

11 Minutes

Today is Friday, September 6, 2013. But only for 2 more minutes, as I type this sentence. I had a good day today, a grueling marathon of spending the morning with my pops at a trombone factory in Elkhorn WI, then a string of coffee breaks in the afternoon interspersed with about 11 minutes of highly productive and efficient work at the office. I swear I am going to work myself right out of a job one of these days. But in reality, the opposite is true. No one but me can do what I do as quickly and efficiently as I do it. I have learned how to be a machine at work and have eliminated most of the busy work and inefficiency. That makes me indispensible and irreplaceable. My internal clients are utterly pleased and amazed by my performance, often literally referring to me as a machine. The only interference with my output seems to be meddling middle managers who try to assign busy work to me and my team that benefits no one, but for the most part, we are able to ignore that, recognizing that busy work benefits no one, and thus when it is completely ignored, no one is hurt or impacted. In fact, they are helped, because we have more time and brain power to focus on real and meaningful work, which I had only 11 minutes of today. And I crushed it. The balls are all in someone else's court and due to their busy work, I won't be seeing those balls again until next week.

Due to my strenuous output today (I also went for a 3.5 mile run in the morning), I needed to rest my body and mind when I got home from work. I only intended to rest on my bed and think a while, but as is so often the case, this deteriorated into a 2 hour power nap. That is why I am up past midnight.

Tomorrow, I may accompany my folks to Fighting Bob Fest in Madison, for a chunk of the afternoon. But before that, I have a busy morning. My cleaning lady is coming and so is my friend Sherry, the latter about 10 AM to collect some items she and Todd left at the cottage up north after Bike With (or Without) Melinda, on accident.

I might bike up to Lake Mills in the morning to hit the ATM there, so I can pay the cleaning lady. Some people are amazed that I have a cleaning lady, but it is so worth it and here is the economic rationale. First off, I like to support my local economy. I also pay a guy to mow my lawn in summer and shovel my driveway in winter. I consider it money well spent because I don't have to do those things.

My time is worth $30/hr, approximately, if my employer is to be believed. It is actually closer to $60/hr direct, but employment has some perks like health benefits and retirement funding handled by someone else. I would have to pay those things out of pocket, if self employed and paid directly by clients, hence the higher wage in the direct payment scenario without bennies.

Now, I pay my cleaning lady $20/hr and while she is working, I can be doing other useful things. In essence, I am making a net $10/hr by hiring her because I am free to do what I want on my time, while she works. Of course I don't actually make money while pursuing my own recreational and creative activities, but I do gain value in that time, which is priceless. Value is actually better than money. If I had to clean my own house, I would do it less well than my cleaning lady and I would lose value from being distracted from my recreation and creative arts.

That probably isn't going to make much sense to most people, but that is because people either lack value in their lives or they don't see the value added by outsourcing. Money has no value unless it is applied to producing something useful. I use it to pay my cleaning lady so I can get a clean house while still producing creative outputs and earning $10/hr in effect for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment