9.17.2013

A Back of the Room Kind of Guy

I am at a company wide meeting that upper management said was "very important." Previous such very important meetings have proved anything but important. They mostly consisted of middle management verbally stroking itself and criticizing the workforce for the poor performance of the company.

But I am here because it is an easy way to kill an hour or so at work. I can surf the Face and hone my trade of writing.

I am reading a book now called "The Element," about finding your passion and doing it. My passion is not my day job. The day job is just underwriting and my true passion takes priority over the day job whenever feasible, because when I die I don't want to have to admit that I did not make a valiant effort to follow my dreams and passions. I may not achieve my dreams, but it won't be for lack of trying. That is why I don't allow THE MAN to stifle my artistic pursuits without good reason and I push back hard when HE does.

I am a writer by training and it is my passion, along with performing music. I identify as a writer and also as a rocker. I do not identify as a corporate cube drone, and in fact I transcend my corporate cube drone day job in two ways. One is not taking it too seriously, because corporate America is a joke and the culture devoid of humanity. The second is related to the first, in that I mock corporate America by qualitatively observing it and writing about it. Corporate culture in America could not be duller and more soul sucking than it is. Even the exceptions, the corporate cultures that try to keep things human and awake, are conformist in their own way (you are considered odd if you do not embrace the alternative culture). It has something to do with appealing to the lowest common denominator in the corporate workforce, the most bland, banal, and milquetoast individuals who make up the majority of the pool of people qualified to work in corporate America and who are completely dispensible and replaceable because there are hundreds of drone clones ready to swoop in and replace them at their mediocre jobs. It has to be this way, because indispensible workers are a liability to companies. Creative and uniquely talented individuals are undesirable from THE MAN's perspective, because when (not if) they leave for a new and better job, the company will have a hard time replacing them. But uncreative mediocre automatons are totally dispensible and that is why corporate America is filled with soulless and mediocre individuals who have lost the will to think outside the box or be creative and try innovative things.

Automatons do not take risks. They take orders. And that is all corporate America cares about.

What are your thoughts?

Anyway, I am working on a book that is my qualitative study of corporate America. It is tentatively titled, "My Life Among the Cube Drones: How I Survived and Thrived in Corporate America."

I am still in the meeting and it is just as stereotypically boring and bland as corporate America likes it. Right now a woman is talking and popping off generic catch phrases that she suggests will guide the worklife of these rapt employees. What she fails to realize is that catch phrases mean nothing to these people. They have been inundated with catch phrases for years and not once did a catch phrase help them do their jobs better or get them an increase in wages. There is no incentive to go above and beyond in corporate America, certainly not bland catch phrases.

I am glad I am sitting in the back of the room. Here I can goof off and keep my soul safe from the creeping death exuding from the video screen in the front of this room. I think there is a high correlation between soul death and sitting closer to the front of the room. Looking at these people, I think my assessment is right. The most corporate brown nosers are up front.

So this book I am reading is encouraging me to focus more on my passions. Schools tend to crush the souls of intelligent, creative, and non-conformist people. Corporate America seems to be largely a continuation of the soul crushing that begins in school. The standardization of education seems designed to create a larger pool of similarly trained, conformist, dispensible people for the corporate mediocrity mill. The creative and genius people are filtered out via standardized testing and labeled "ADHD" or "dyslexic" or "depressed," then often given drugs to chemically bring them back in line with the average students. Addicted to these drugs for life, many of these now brain dead students do just fine in corporate America. But when the drugs occasionally wear off, bad things can happen, like people going on shooting sprees in schools and at workplaces.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment