2.06.2014

Intellectual Property

I cranked at work today, although it was mostly to get some stuff off my desk so I can focus on more important stuff tomorrow.

Last night, I wrote the musical half of a song for FAWM 2014. It has kind of a Rolling Stones flavor, musically. Tonight, I will write the lyrics hopefully. That is always the hardest thing. This year I seem to be thus far following a formula of writing the music first and then adding lyrics after the musical foundation is there. On only one of this year’s songs did I start the music writing process on bass, FAWM song #3. I can’t say that had any bearing on the quality of the song. The song I wrote last night (#4), was started on guitar, but I decided to add a very complex bass part to it after the fact. It may even be an overly distracting bass part, once lyrics are added. But that remains to be seen.

I have been burning the midnight oil a little bit, to keep a good songwriting pace for FAWM. But only marginally so. I am getting to bed just a little bit after midnight. There was a day when I was so dedicated to FAWM that I would stay up really late to finish songs. But that was mostly when I was “self-employed” at music and had the flexibility to set my own hours. There is something to be said for the trade of producing intellectual property. It’s creative and fun, which seems to be inversely proportional to the ability to make a living at it. Most of that I think has to do with oversaturated markets for certain arts, like music. It’s hard to find a niche market. Most musicians make the mistake of trying to appeal to the mainstream market, because that’s where they think all the money is. But it is also where all the competition is. It’s a numbers game. Even if you have a great product, you don’t want to compete with hundreds of other people who also have equally good products. You want to customize your art and produce intellectual property that appeals to a smaller audience. The difficulty there is finding enough “customers” and getting them in the door, so they actually know your “product” exists. A great product is useless to people if they do not know about it.

I might try my hand at some flash fiction. There is a contest on Wisconsin Public Radio’s “To the Best of Our Knowledge” program, in which they are accepting flash science fiction stories of 500 to 600 words, and the winning selections will be read on the air. They have to take place in the near future and relate to science in a way that is believable and credible. I definitely have some good skills there, but the issue is finding the time between work and FAWM.

Where there is a will there is a way. First, I have to put the DRIVEWAY THRIFTDWELLERS show this Saturday February 8 behind me, so I can focus my energy on other creative endeavors. The country band has been a bit lax in finding rehearsal time, so I have to practice the bass parts on my own. You know how I despise being the weak link in the biff chain. So after I write some lyrics to my FAWM song tonight (or fail to successfully do so), I am going to spend some time on the country songs. I have no idea when I am going to find time to work on jazz piano. Sunday, I guess. I am thinking I might have to go to once a month on piano lessons, because I never seem to have any time to practice.

Well, that’s enough chatter. Until next time.

Random SEO: Motorhead and Lemmy

No comments:

Post a Comment