8.05.2014

I Ran This Morning

I went for a run this morning with my friend Danielle. It felt pretty good. We went at a slow pace and only did 2.25 miles or something. It was my first run this year, I think, so I didn’t want to push it, but rather ease into running again. I’d like to run before work three times per week. Now that I live in Madison and am closer to work, I have the time to do it. Running is a great workout, because it’s intense and quick, as compared with biking. The runner’s high is more noticeable too and energizes me for several hours of the day. It elevates my mood and makes me more focused and in tune. I have to remember to take NSAIDs before or after running, so as not to inflame my arthritic left big toe (achieved via a spinning bike injury many years ago).

The first run of the year usually feels pretty easy to me. But there is a big recovery period because I am using muscles I haven’t used in a while. So within 24 to 48 hours, I get really sore. After that pain period, I can run again lightly and work out the lactic acid buildup. My goal is to run again this Friday morning, with or without Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment