9.02.2014

Why the Funk?

Sometimes I go into a bit of a funk, and I don’t know what causes it, but I don’t like feeling this way.

I used to call it the “All Pervading Feeling of Doom.” It’s not like depression, per se. When I do a self-analysis, I generally feel pretty happy with my life, objectively speaking.

But still something gnaws at me, in my gut, just below the sternum, that something isn’t right.

Perhaps it could be a bit of melancholy. I spent the past three weekends with my family, when they came down to my house warming party on August 16, and when I went up to the cabin the two weekends after that, including Labor Day, to hang with my parents.

Now, I am probably not going to see them for a while, and that’s probably part of why I feel melancholic.

On the other hand, I get to spend almost three weeks with them in late November when we take a family trip to Australia. Between now and then, I plan to fly one way to Akron OH, where my folks live, at some point, to buy my mom’s Prius and drive it back to Wisconsin. So that will be nice. I need to figure out what to do with my current Prius, which was also a hand-me-down from my mom. It has well over 200,000 miles on it and it still runs pretty decently. I could sell it for some pocket change, or maybe donate it to NPR’s “Take My Car, Please” program, where presumably they refurbish vehicles for the needy. I don’t really know. In any case, I should Blue Book it.

I have a strong desire to travel more. I may have mentioned my wanderlust in a prior post. I am going to start looking into economical travel options. Road trips are always a nice getaway. So are bike rides. I am supposed to go on a camping trip with friends the weekend of September 20. I may go up to Oshkosh this coming weekend.

Part of my melancholy might be because Labor Day signals the end of “recreational summer” and I might be a little bummed that as the weather degenerates, so do my options for exercising outdoors. But the weather is still looking excellent out there. I bike commuted today and I am looking forward to bike commuting home.

I might go chill in the Comfort Room at work for a few minutes and mellow out.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/04/2014

    I think "funks" are normal. I have a fantastic life, by all accounts...and I know it and am grateful for it! Yet I still go into funks. Sometimes I think the sadness is due to the suffering I see around me in the world. But that goes against my belief that we all generate our own feelings internally (including stress, anger, sadness & joy). I need to accept that funks are a part of my being. Perhaps even embrace them...
    Shara

    ReplyDelete