11.12.2014

A Pile o' Bikes...Wow! (NaNoWriMo)

I just recently found out, or was reminded, that November is National Novel Writing Month (aka, NaNoWriMo).

It’s basically a 30 day challenge to pound out a rough draft of a fictional novel. It is not unlike February Album Writing Month (FAWM), the 28 day challenge to write 14 songs during the shortest and (in Wisconsin) coldest month of the year, except that it is about the written word, rather than song.

I am going to take a stab at it. The idea isn’t to produce an award winning work of fiction, but simply to get a sketch of a novel on paper. It’s not going to write itself.

I am going the use the movie “Apocalypse Now” as the structure of my novel’s plot line, and it is set on RAGBRAI, albeit a fictionalized version of the week long annual bike ride across Iowa. "Apocalypse Now" is essentially a modernized re-telling of Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness,” so I may have to read that as a reference (only $0.99 cents on Amazon for the Kindle edition), as well as re-watch “Apocalypse Now.”

In short, a RAGBRAI team has to go in search of a renegade rider who is “off the reservation” and causing trouble in an Iowa small town that is just off the RAGBRAI route.

I have a lot of details to iron out, but mostly this is about putting words to paper (or word processor) and simply pounding it out, good or bad. Most likely bad. But if I can at least get the basics down, I can edit and refine later.

My buddy Nick, an LA movie director and producer, and fellow RAGBRAI team member (in real life), wants to do the movie adaptation once it is written. Quite an undertaking. But there is no time for procrastination, like writing this blog post. The work needs to be hammered out.

No comments:

Post a Comment