11.10.2014

My Review of the Movie "Interstellar"

I saw the new movie “Interstellar” last Friday night, and it was decent. Even though it was long, I was never bored, and I enjoyed it a lot.

It had a plot and it tried to adhere to real science. One of the consultants on the film was physicist Kip Thorne, who also wrote a book about the science of the movie, aptly titled “The Science of Interstellar.”

I won’t give any spoilers, but I recommend the movie because it is quite thought provoking. There are a few loopholes but in general, the science it is based on is believable. One of the great things they did is whenever anything exploded in space, there was complete silence. Because explosions don’t make noise in space. Noise requires a medium of some type and empty space lacks a medium that can convey sound, though it can still convey light. Also, they adhered to the realities of gravity. They had to generate artificial gravity by using centrifugal force, like in the movie “2001: A Space Odyssey.”

In some ways, “Interstellar” could have been a sequel to “2001.” It also had elements of the movie “Contact.”

I got Kip Thorne’s book about the science of the movie on my Kindle, and I am going to go read it on my break right now…

No comments:

Post a Comment