12.08.2014

Heavies

Tomorrow I will fly away from Australia on a great big "luxury dreamliner" airplane. I love flying on planes, the safest location in the world, but I have to admit that I often doubt the ability of these gigantic machines, filled with fat people and their oversized baggage, to take to the air as they accelerate down a runway. Rationally, I trust in the laws of classical physics. But the more ancestral primitive part of my brain really doesn't comprehend it. As an amateur wind surfer, I know that aerodynamic lift is a real and powerful thing. In fact, a sail acting like a wing can generate enough lift to move a sail board or sail boat faster than the ambient wind speed. It's essentially a force acting on an object creating acceleration. I am glad I believe in science as a basis for air travel. Not, say, angels...

No comments:

Post a Comment