1.05.2015

I Am Going to Write This Cold Away

I caught a cold over the weekend. Actually, I probably caught it on New Year’s Eve, when I was around a lot of people and in contact with some less than completely sterile surfaces (primarily vocal microphones at the venue at which my band performed). I became symptomatic on Friday night, with a dry cough. This evolved into congestion and a scratchy throat on Saturday and a worsening cough through Sunday, with developing body aches. All the symptoms are fairly mild. I suspect it is a weak flu virus and the flu shot I got a few months ago is probably helping keep the symptoms at bay. So is Robitussin DM, ibuprofen, allergy pills, nasal spray, and a homeopathic cold and flu remedy called Oscillococcinum (probably mostly placebo).

I saw an article posted on the Facebook today that said writers are physically and mentally healthier. So I am going to try to write this cold away too.

After I finish this post, I am going to write a letter to my mom (and later enclose it in an envelope and send it to her, along with my quarterly car payment).

Then I will do some more random writing later today as well.

1 comment:

  1. Oscillococcinum. wow. I had to look that up... and wow. :)

    Literally sugar pills (expensive ones at that).

    "
    The ingredients of a one gram tube of Oscillococcinum are listed as:

    Active ingredient: Anas Barbariae Hepatis et Cordis Extractum (extract of Muscovy Duck liver and heart) 200CK HPUS 1×10−400 g[9]
    Inactive ingredient: 0.85 g sucrose, 0.15 g lactose (100% sugar.[10])
    "

    So, in 1g there is 1g of sugar (.85g sucrose, .15g lactose) that has an infinitesimally small chance of at one point being in contact with duck liver or heart. I love homeopathy :)

    ReplyDelete