1.04.2015

The New Year's Resolution of DOING

I have a new New Year's Resolution.

It is to try to always be doing something I want to be doing.

There are many possibilities.

Playing music.

Writing.

Seeing live music.

Hanging out with friends.

Exercising.

Making food.

Of course, there will always be times when I cannot be doing what I want to be doing.these will be "neutral" times in this paradigm.

For example, I have to go to work. I don't want to be doing that, but I need to generate income.

I also don't want to be shoveling snow. I did that today. In this case, though, I can re-categorize that as "exercise." It was quite a good workout, as evidenced by how sweaty I got doing it in 10 degree F weather.

For this resolution to work, I have to set a boundary. That is, when I am in neutral time beyond my control (like work), I won't worry about it. But when it is MY time to do what I want, I should choose to be doing something I want to do.

For example, I am writing this post because I want to. I took a break from watching Netflix to do it, because watching Netflix is something I can do any time. Netflix watching is "neutral" too. I would rather be doing something else, but sometimes downtime is needed and Netflix is a good way to pass that neutral time.

No comments:

Post a Comment