An Update on Buddy

I took Buddy to the vet this morning for observation. He’s having another episode of dementia with associated micro-seizures, where he kind of pauses…trembles…and then falls over. He gets right back up a few seconds later, but the vet says it might be neurological.

I thought the Cushing’s disease drugs were working, because Buddy seemed to return to normalcy once he started on them a few weeks ago, after his first episode of dementia and seizures. But this recent episode was a total relapse, suggesting the neurological stuff isn’t related to Cushing’s and that’s not great news for Buddy.

He is staying overnight at the kennel tonight and they are going to retest him for the Cushing’s tomorrow, because I guess this test takes the better part of a day to conduct. We might also start him on a month’s regimen of an anti-epileptic drug to see if his seizures improve.

Buddy’s eyesight seems to fail when he has these episodes. So he’ll wander into walls and house plants and things. When he is out in the yard, he will sometimes get trapped inside the rabbit fencing of the garden or behind the rock next to the compost pile and not know how to get out. Kind of sad. The thing is, after this happened the last time, he seemed to make a full recovery and I thought the Cushing’s drug was working for him. So the fact that he had another acute episode suggests that either the drugs aren’t working anymore, or the neurological stuff is not due to Cushing’s at all.

He definitely has Cushing’s though, because he tested positive for that the last time this happened. If the new drugs don’t help, I think Buddy may be headed for the BIG SLEEP, because his quality of life would not be good. There’s no sense keeping an animal alive if it’s just basically a retarded walking vegetable. I think Buddy kind of wants to die, in a weird way. He has stopped eating the last couple days and now when he goes outside, he just plops down on the grass and seems to have no will to live or do anything. I have to crate him when he is inside, because he seems to have also forgotten that he is house trained and will whizz on the floor. He’ll whizz in his crate too, if he has to go bad enough. But it’s easier to clean up the crate bed than the floor of my house. I line the bed with a beach towel and some canine pee pads that absorb up to five times their weight or volume in water or something.

I am trying not to stress out too much, but this is putting a crimp on my ability to bike commute because I have to go home at lunch to let Buddy outside, and I would not have enough time if I biked. I am adapting though. Today, I did not bike commute, but I got in a 3.2 mile (5K) power walk over lunch. I also resisted free cake at work. CostCo cake no less…delicious stuff…but I defeated the temptation demon handily and ate a tuna sandwich instead (probably had about the same calories as a small piece of cake, but healthier, because it’s fish!). Tomorrow, I fully plan to bike commute, at least in the AM, though I may have to go home at lunch to get my car, so I can pick Buddy up after work. I am on a fitness challenge to lose my winter weight and be ready for summer fun by Memorial Weekend.

No comments: