Organic Chicken and Lemmy of Motorhead

Today was a busy day so I didn't get to my 10 minutes of freestyle blog posting until now, which is technically tomorrow. It's about 12:33 AM on Sunday January 3 as I repose in bed with my smart phone to mainline some unadulterated stream of consciousness rambling into your brain.

The highlight of today was roasting an organic free range chicken from our CSA all by myself. The bird had been in the freezer for months and in the fridge the last three days or so thawing out. Deborah was tired out from an afternoon spent running errands with me (which included the hardware store, where I finally got the replacement nuts I needed to batten down the rack on my bike), so I was on my own. I recalled how at Thanksgving we had stumbled upon a failsafe turkey roasting method online that entailed cooking the turkey at 500 degrees for the first 45 minutes and then 350 for the rest of the time until the turkey was done (internal meat probe reading 165 F). This method did not necessitate covering the turkey with foil or using any water in the baking pan at all. The logic behind this cooking strategy was beyond me, but it worked like a charm - tasty, tender, juicy turkey meat. All I can surmise is that the initial high temperature blast served to sear the outside of the meat, keeping the moisture in.

So I decided to do something similar with the CSA chicken. We had gotten another frozen organic chicken from the CSA once before and cooked it the conventional way (375 the whole time until done) but it had not turned out all that great. I loaded the current chicken's carcass with stuffing and treated the outside with a hefty slathering of Pam butter spray, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning before placing the meat probe deep within the stuffing filled body cavity (another tip from that Thanksgiving turkey cooking find...I always thought the meat probe was supposed to go into the thickest part of the breast meat, but not so). Then I cooked the chicken in a baking pan for 25 minutes at 500 (it was a smaller bird compared to a turkey so I guesstimated on a shorter duration at the higher temperature) before knocking it down to 350 for the remainder of the time. It took about an hour and sure enough, it came out really fantastically done.

After dinner, we watched the season finale of Ash vs. Evil Dead and then I actually did about three hours of clerical work on my 2016 writing and music projects.

Now I am dozing off, so I will wrap it up. I played a couple short sets at the Bos Meadery open mic on New Year's Day (yesterday) afternoon, where I found out that the Bos allows full band rocking, with no volume constraints. I am hosting my birthday party show there next Friday January 8 from 6-9 PM, so now in addition to a planned solo acoustic performance by Cactus Joe (that's me), I am adding a full band power trio rock-n-roll set by my band GUPPY EFFECT, replete with a tribute to the late great Lemmy Kilmeister of Motorhead. Rawk.

No comments: